MACHINE SEWING FOR BEGINNERS
In this day and age of recycling and repurposing, dust off that sewing machine and come and learn the basics. Learn how to use your machine, do hems, fix seams and do the sewing basics that will benefit you and your family.
The following skills will be covered:
- Get to know your machine
- General supply list to make your sewing easier
- Filling the bobbin and threading your machine
- Use of accessories
- Sewing a straight seam –
- Project – Tray cloth or table runner
- How to unpick
- Finishing off edges
- How to hem an item
- Project – Your item you have needed to hem for so long
- How to fix a seam
- How to patch a hole
- Simple cutting from a pattern
- Project – cut and make a mask
- Making a casing
- Project – grocery bag holder
- Making basic household items
- Project – Choose between pillowcase/cushion cover/apron or discuss with tutor
Practical work will be done during the sessions and assistance is offered in choosing fabric for projects, ideas for what to make and how to use your new sewing skills.
Course Day & Time: Monday evenings 7.00 – 9.00pm
Start Date: 23/01/23
Cost: €110 (Note: Price includes fabric for learning skills and smaller items at the start of the course. However students will have to purchase fabric for larger individual items you choose to make during the course. Tutor will advise on fabric needed and where to purchase it)
Course Format: In class with tutor
Sewing Machine: If you have your own machine please bring it along, if not a shared machine will be provided.
Duration: 10 weeks – Maximum of 10 students in class
Enrolment: Enrolment will open on the 1st December at 10am. You can enrol online then by clicking on the Easy Payments Plus button.
Tutor: Robyn Johnstone