ASTRONOMY STAGE 1
This course is intended for beginner! and no prior knowledge is required. Perhaps you’ve often looked up at the night sky and wondered “what’s really up there?” If so, this may be just the course for you!
Some Topics Covered:
• A close look at the planets and moons of our Solar System.
• Studying the Sun, our nearest star.
• Galaxies, taking a closer look at our own Milky Way Galaxy
• The life and death of stars.
• The expanding universe.
• A brief history of astronomy.
• A primer on binoculars and telescopes.
• An introduction to the constellations of the autumn night sky, with some practical sessions out under the stars.
• An introduction to some deep sky objects.
• “This Week In Space”: Keeping up to date on what’s of interest in space and space exploration right now.
• And much more!
Note: “Astronomy Stage 2” (an optional follow-on course) will be offered in Spring 2022 for those
who have completed Stage 1 and who may wish to further advance their knowledge of the heavens.
Course Day & Time: Tuesday evening 7.30 – 9.30
Start Date: Autumn Term 2021
Course Format: In class with tutor
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: John Daly