Dog Smart – An Introduction to Canine Training
This is a course for anyone who would like to know more about dogs, the human-dog relationship and training. You will enjoy this course if you are thinking of getting a puppy or rescue dog, already have a dog you would like to train and understand more or you have been thinking of a potential career change to work with this dogs.
In the course we will cover and give you an understanding of:
- Domestication of the dog, different breeds and their needs
- Socialisation, Handling & Habitation for puppies
- Enrichment, lifestyle and breed specific jobs.
- Communication and Body Language
- Exercise for all life stages including puppies
- How Dogs Learn – learning theory 101
- Basic Training, how to effectively communicate with our dogs and teach behaviours
- Preventing common problems that develop in dogs such as separation related issues, resource guarding, jumping up, recall.
- Dog Sports – what, why how to get the right sport for the right dog
- A career working with dogs? The what, why and how to get started with qualifications, experience and certification.
What’s Needed for Class
You will just need something to record notes and there will be recommended reading during the course
Course Day & Time: Thursday evening 7.00 -9.00pm
Start Date: 21/09/23
Course Format: In class with tutor. This course is for dog owners or potential dog owners. You do not bring your dog to the class.
Duration: 10 weeks – Maximum of 12 students in class
Enrolment: You can enrol online by clicking on the Enrol here Easy Payments Plus button. Enrolment will open on Wednesday the 9th of August at 10am through our website.
Tutor: Laura Jennings www.laurajenningsdogservices.com
Laura Jennings is a Dog Trainer and Agility Competitor the last 15 years. She is a member of the UK Training & Behaviour Charter and the owner of Laura Jennings Dog Services, which runs puppy and dog training obedience classes and offers Home-Visits for Puppies and 1-2-1 private dog training.
She also is an Agility Coach to some of Team Ireland Competitors and has represented the Republic of Ireland at the World Agility Open Championships herself and competed at the World’s Biggest Dog Show ‘Crufts’ placing in the top 3 over three qualifying rounds from all the best ABC dogs from the UK and Ireland.
Laura recently qualified as a Licenced Canine Conditioning Coach and helps pet dogs and sports dogs that need more mental and physical stimulation and conditioning get fitter, stronger and injury free.