Language and Culture of Russia
Russia is a vast, complex and fascinating country. This course introduces students to its beautiful language and its rich culture. Russia was once described by William Churchill as a “riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma” and this course takes on the challenge of looking deeper and learning the truth that may not be visible in everyday, stereotypical views of the country.
- At the end of the course you will be able to communicate in a variety of settings: greetings, talking about family, travelling to Russia, shopping, conversations about areas of interest to you.
- You will also learn the Russian alphabet; it’s a lot easier than you may think!
- Students will become familiar with aspects of Russian culture: its fantastic musical and literary heritage, its cuisine, its craft and artistic traditions, its often misunderstood history and its profound influence on the progress of science and technology
- Lessons will be practical, focusing on realistic communication.
- Speaking and listening skills will be developed.
- You can have tea from a real Soviet-era samovar.
- Craft – based lessons will be included, Russian Doll making, embroidery.
- Technology will be used where appropriate; iPads and Smartphones can be used (if students are comfortable with them) to enhance learning.
- Native Speaker of Russian
- Teacher of Russian culture and Language in Ireland for ten years
- Leaving Certificate Examiner of Russian
Tutor; Inna Orlovskaya